Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Between the Sun and the Moon

by Irene Daniel

Between the sun and the moon
I see the world
from my mother's grave

To the east
the rising sun
illuminates Apache Leap

To the west
a waning lunar globe
full just hours ago

Long and lean
early morning shadows
shade the graves
of centuries past

And newer, fresher graves
that entomb my friends;
playmates and classmates
beckon remembrance

I walk among them
sometimes I weep
sometimes I talk
but mostly I just listen

They seem at peace
in the afterglow
of lives well-lived
and well-loved

They wonder why
I linger here
for life is to be lived
they tell me

Do not weep for us
they say
go out and live
and work
and play

I tell them that
I seek their peace
their prayers
and blessings

It's hard to leave
my little bench
beside my mother's grave
for here lies peace
and the memory
of love's sweet embrace

The sun climbs higher
as the moon slips away
beneath the western horizon
It's time for me to go

And live my life
for I'm still here
my mission incomplete
new dreams beckon
every day
a new Phoenix awaits

But I return here every day
Seeking peace and solice

Between the sun and the moon
I see the world
from my mother's grave


                                                              Copyright 2015, Irene Daniel, all rights reserved.



2 comments:

  1. I read this poem for the first time tonight...it hits a deep spot where few ever venture. Thank-you for sharing this sacred place in your heart and life with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I really enjoyed creating with you today!

      Delete