Thursday, February 11, 2016

Climbing Out of Darkness

by Irene Daniel

I stumbled into darkness,
falling far and fast
from the incompleteness
of a soulless past

Cascading into the abyss
in shocking disbelief,
a gathering of awfulness,
torment and unspeakable grief

The bottom never seemed to come
of this monstrous grey
And on and on the grayness rolled
Seemingly to stay

But loving souls called to me
in every living form
and day by day provided me
a shelter from the storm

Bringing with them love and light
that scared away the dark
Inspiring my tenacity
igniting a soulful spark

Inch by inch and step by step
I marched toward the light
Small victories along the way
helped me regain my sight

A sight that's been refocused now
upon what is not broken
enabling me to jettison
things merely token

Enlightened and less burdened
on a more deliberate path
following the light
I have no use for wrath

Nor hatred, greed nor other things
upon which darkness thrives
I will follow the light today
on to the next of my nine lives


                                                                 Copyright 2016, Irene Daniel, all rights reserved.








2 comments: