Thursday, January 14, 2016

Saturday Mornings Long Ago

by Irene Daniel


Hotcakes sizzling on the comal, Shirley Temple movies on TV
Sleeping in for my brothers and me

And then onto laborious bores,
Cleaning the yard, the house and other chores

Running errands on my bike
So Mama wouldn't need to hike

To the store for this and that
Fresh fruit, fresh meat and food for the cat

And then I would be free again
To play outside or visit a friend

Sometimes we would take the bus
to the big city, an adventure for us

A day off from the rural mundane
Sweet distance from my childhood pain

I remember all these things
For when I do, my heart sings

Of love, laughter, hope and glory
The alpha and omega of my life's story

And I will never be alone
My memory of love is my home

                                                                    Copyright 2016, Irene Daniel, all rights reserved.



2 comments:

  1. We share a common past...this piece took my own memory back. Thank you for sharing your gift...and your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to have been bitten by the poetry bug lately. Everything comes out in words and form too sweet for prose. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete