Thursday, August 6, 2015

Political Junkie Season Begins!

by Irene Daniel

I am preparing for the debate(s) tonight. I have plenty of food and drink; and am catching up on Daily Show and Nightly Show episodes that I missed earlier this week. I am taking the day off after several days of problem-solving, and just allowing myself to have some fun. For me, history and politics is fun. I was a nerdy kid; ask anyone in town.

I have been a political junkie since I was 8 years old, over 50 years. Maybe it's a birth defect. I don't know; but I've always been like this. Because I am a bleeding heart, liberal Democrat, I'm hoping for a full-on train wreck. With Donald Trump leading in GOP polls, this doesn't seem like such a stretch. Bring it!

As much as I am looking forward to this evening, as evidenced by my stock-piling of diet coke and potato chips, a part of me laments all of this excess. The actual election is 15 months away, and soon we will all tire of the endless political ads that will barrage us full-time once primary season is over in about another year. Until then, only those of us living in primary states will be overwhelmed, at least for the moment. Billions of dollars will be spent, lots of insults will be hurled, the truth will still be obscured and a whole lot of people are gonna end up unhappy in the end. Sometimes it seems that we are more engaged in the excess than the outcome of political campaigns.

In 1944, President Roosevelt began campaigning in October for the November election. I realize that comparing the 1944 election to the 2016 presidential election is really unfair and not a very informative comparison. I know that. However, even in 1960, the campaign pretty much began at the beginning of 1960, not 1959; and no one spent nearly this much money on political silly season.  And while it is true that the parties, and party bosses, were much more in control of the process than they are now; the control of the choices of candidates paraded before us is now clearly in the hands of a very few, very wealthy men. Is this better? I don't think so.

While the party bosses were just as male, white and wealthy as they are today, they at least had some sense of respect for the hard work of governance and vetted their candidates for good leadership skills. They knew better than to run a buffoon like Donald Trump, for such a choice would reflect negatively upon them among the prominent members of their respective parties.  While it wasn't perfect, the job of governing was honored and respected much more than it is today. Government was something to take pride in, instead of loathe. This attitude is also reflected in the caliber of some of our contestants this evening. All you need today is a Sugar Daddy. Ideas and responsible compassion for all Americans is not essential.

And so, in the midst of all of the fun this evening, I'm sure that at some point, I will long for the good old days, when uplifting messages about the concerns of all Americans used to score points with the electorate. Today, insults and mean-spirited personal attacks rule the day.

Hurling insults is not difficult. It might be fun and might even be useful in conveying a serious message. But an insult, especially one with no truth to it, can never, ever replace a message of hope and optimism; for this is what the American spirit, what that American "Exceptionalism" is all about.

This is the 21st century, America. Whatever your perspective, as we watch this debacle continue to unfold before our very eyes for the next 15 months, let's keep our eyes on our prize, our extraordinary march forward, toward that "more perfect union." Who can bring us that future?



                                                                                  Copyright 2015, Irene Daniel, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment