Wednesday, October 10, 2012

THE BITTERSWEET HARVEST OF GRIEF


 

            I am not myself lately. October 30, 2012, will mark the 6 month anniversary of my mother’s death. It will also be just over two months since the death of my Uncle John, who was my hero ever since I was a little girl. His widow, my Aunt Bertha is recovering from surgery on the brain tumor that was found several weeks before my mother got sick. She is doing well, even though she has suffered tremendous loss, and is almost 90 years old. October 10 is the 24th anniversary of my older brother’s death.

            Almost exactly a year before my mom died, I lost one of the best friends I’ve ever had since I was 19 years old.  A few months prior to that, one of my two cats got sick and subsequently had to be put down. Within a few weeks, the other cat died, I think, of sheer loneliness. Even though they were not from the same litter, I got both of them when they were just kittens, and they were best friends. They were my best friends too. Before I got married, they used to sleep at my head and feet. I was always careful moving around when I woke up because I didn’t want to accidentally kick one of them.

            In the midst of all of that, I also lost a couple of good friends I had made along the way. I am also now estranged from my brother, the only other surviving member of my family of origin. In the past few months I have come to realize that I really lost him a long time ago. I love him so much it hurts, and I know that he is simply not the same person I knew as my first best friend. We were babies together. But now I realize that he let me go a long time ago. I guess holding on was too painful for him for too long. We both grew up amidst a great deal of trauma and violence. I fear the darkness has overtaken him, and he chooses to stay there. I can’t be there with him.

            So here I am. I would be foolish to think that I am alone because I know that I am not. First and foremost, I am loved by the most wonderful son to ever walk the face of the earth, and the most brilliant grandson known to man. I live with my husband and our beautiful black lab, Maggie, whose unconditional love and forgiveness sustain me daily. I am not alone, but I am an orphan now. It really isn’t like the end of a chapter in a book, it is the end of that whole book.

            I’ve lost people before now, but somehow, grieving my mother’s death is an incorporation of all the other grief I’ve ever experienced. Pardon the pun, but it is the mother of all grief, in all ways imaginable. She held all the memories. She saved every card or letter written to her. I have been going through some of them and remembering. Remembering people, places, events, pets, friends, school, church. Everything.

            I am a very different person than my mother was. I have a professional degree and license that have freed me from many of the demons of self-doubt with which our entire family has struggled. She didn’t drive and was often very reclusive, yet could be the life of the party in the right moment. She had a certain a gleam of joy in her beautiful brown eyes that I will never see again. She often drove me crazy, but she was also such a delight to be with because she was unabashed in her insistence on celebrating life. Even through all of her hardships, she had a great big smile that seemed to mock the hard times, especially in photographs with her family. It was as though she was saying to life, ‘I’m going to be happy anyway!’

In many ways, I have surpassed what dreams she had for me, and I know that she was proud of me, as only a mother can be. As she watched me overcome obstacles that were just too great for her, I hope that she felt some release from the bondage of all of her fears. Now that my son is an adult, I know the sense of relief she had when all of her children were on their own, working, getting educations that she could only dream of, and making our way in the world.

            As I mourn her, and her first-born, on this cloudy October day in LA, I am grateful for the distance between my origins and my life now. And I am grateful for the foundation, the hearth, that my mother created, that I so often took for granted. As difficult as this day is for me, I am grateful for everything, and I am left to wrestle with the emotional juxtaposition of loss and love and memory.

            You see, for me, grief is just another form of gratitude; for we do not miss those people or things that do bring some goodness and joy into our lives. My mournful tears are another way of saying thank you. Thank you to my brother, who was the best teacher I ever had. Without the foundational learning I got from him, I don’t make it to UCLA. Thank you to my Uncle John, my war hero, who served as a male role model in a fatherless home. Thank you to my dear friend, Leo, who loved me always and unconditionally, from a time when I really didn’t have it together. Thank you to my cats, for their warm bodies and sweet companionship. Thank you to all the many friends I have outlived to this point. Thank you for loving me.

            And most especially, thank you, Mama, for everything – my life (which she saved by carrying me out of a burning building), my education, and your constant interest and faith in me. Thank you for all the turkeys you cooked, for teaching me how to cook, for all the sacrifices you made so that I could have – a new dress, a doll, a book. Thank you for last Christmas, when you shared the good memories of your wedding day, December 23, 1950; and how the three surviving members of our family had a very merry little Christmas in the home that you bought with your divorce settlement money. Who would have known that it would be our last one together? And mostly, Mamacita mia, my chapita, thank you for the hearth -- not just a home, but a hearth – that you created for us, to share and to pass on to my son and his family.

            As I prepare for the upcoming holidays – Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years’ Day – holidays that were always celebrated at our house, albeit pretty modestly; I am filled with both dread and joy. This is my first holiday season without my mother, and sometimes I think that I will be swallowed whole by the grief-monster that lives inside my soul these days. But I now realize how challenging and scary her life was at times, and I see her as my role model. I hear her telling me, “It’s okay, Mi’ja. It’s okay,” and I know that if she could face her challenges with her limited resources, financially and emotionally; then I can go on from here. There will be a cornucopia of tears and laughter in the coming months as I celebrate with the people and dogs that I love. For the harvest of grief begins and ends with gratitude.

           
 
M. Irene Daniel
October 10, 2012
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment